Budget report: current assets - negative value

rimmington rimmington at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 01:48:09 EDT 2013

I've just started my own budget, and I'm quite happy with the reports
generated but for one small exception: assets. The budget report seems to
treat assets rather strangely: if I budget for, say, a $400 increase in my
savings account and actually deposit $490, a difference of -$90 will be
reported in red lettering despite the fact that I've added more than
expected. Similarly, if I withdraw $140 over the course of a month, a
difference of +$540 will be reported in black lettering despite the fact I'm
doing worse than expected.

Essentially, assets appear to be treated like expenses rather than like
incomes; this seems counter-intuitive. You can't get around this by
specifying negative budget values either. I admit I'm not an accountant: are
assets like savings accounts treated differently to how I expect?

This is using GnuCash 2.4.10 on Ubuntu 12.04; I don't know if this has
changed in 2.4.11.