Understanding the Balance Sheet - Unrealized Gain?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 20 12:43:33 EDT 2013

bunk3m <bunk3m at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I have setup two currencies as I had one client who paid in USD and I'm
> using CAD.  I had a USD bank account, USD A/R, USD Income.  The only
> expenses in USD were some bank charges.  I did update the USD/CAD
> exchange rate monthly when I had bank fees or when I moved $ from USD
> Check to CAD Check using the actual currency rate for the transaction.
>
> I notice in the balance sheet that I have an "Unrealized Gain" (never an
> "Unrealized Loss").
>
> On every line in the Balance Sheet, I can click and see the transactions
> that made up that balance.
>
> How does one go about understanding which transactions created the
> "Unrealized Gain"?

The transactions between the currencies.  The 'gain' is the change in
value that occurs.  For example, I buy €100 for $125 on Feb 1.  On March
1 those €100 are worth $130 (because the exchange rate changed).  That's
an unrealized gain of $5.