Help with tracking a student loan

Abraham Guerrero abraham.guerrero at outlook.com
Thu Mar 21 19:00:24 EDT 2013

I just started using GnuCash and I would like to track my student loan which
I've mostly paid off.  I tried following this online guide:

http://www.myinvestmentblog.com/tracking-student-loan-gnucash

but I still have questions on some things that are not clear.

1.       This guide says to credit my checking account for the loan amount
and to create a liability for an equal amount.  My issue with this is that
the money did not actually go to my checking account, it went to pay my
tuition.  The other issue is that I'm not sure whether I should be tracking
my loan from its original start date or from now.  It seems that starting
from now would be the better idea.

2.       I also would like to know how to properly enter payments for the
loan.  It seems that I should place one portion into a principal payment and
the other portion into an interest paid section.

3.       Lastly, should I be tracking my investment real estate under the
same file as the rest of my information?  The real estate is in my name and
I am not using an LLC or business to process any transactions.