Default file name of invoice from pdf printer

Robert L Brush III bobbrush3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 18:42:23 EDT 2013

I had the same problem and this is what I found out from one of the
developers:

The output file name is already configurable, even though the option is
not (yet) visible inside gnucash. You need to run the program
"gconf-editor" and browse to the "apps" - "gnucash" section. See
screenshot. Eventually there's the "pdf_export/filename_format" option.
I hope the help text is useful enough. Is that already sufficient for
your question? The word "Invoice" is the report name from the actual
invoice report, I thought.

In the gconf-editor it gives  this description:
This setting chooses the file name for PDF export. This is a sprintf(3)
string with three arguments: "%1$s" is the report name such as
"Invoice". "%2$s" is the number of the report, which for an invoice
report is the invoice number. "%3$s" is the date of the report,
formatted according to the filename_date_format setting. (Note: Any
characters that are not allowed in filenames, such as '/', will be
replaced with underscores '_' in the resulting file name.)

In my case I was trying to replace the word Bill with Purchase Order, so
it was easier to change the options of the report than the gconf editor,
changing the title changed the beginning of the file name, and changing
the custom  label changed what was actually printed.  One of these days
I will customize the report  and make it default so I won't continually
have to change the report options..

Using Linux, so I can't be sure the locations of the reports or the
gconf settings in Windows, but you could manually change those files
also, if you want to risk that kind of thing..

Bob