Accounts Receivable payments for taxes

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 25 11:45:06 EDT 2013

Richard Geddes <richardcgeddes at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> A few follow-up questions:
>
> 1. Do the GNUCash Business Features allow for Cash Based accounting?

By definition, no.  Receivables and Payables are, by definition,
accruals.  You are entering an item that will get paid at a later date.
However, you can still manually convert to cash based accounting by
offsetting your income for the period by your outstanding receivables.

> 2. If I convert to Cash Based accounting in GC, do I loose the business
> features... invoicing, aging, etc..?

It depends on how you convert.  My business has always run under a Cash
basis, even though I use the business features.  It's only an issue for
an invoice that gets issued in one period and paid in the next.  In that
case you just need to account for that properly.

> 3. Is there a checkbox/drop-down to tell GC which accounting method I
> want (Accrual or Cash Based accounting)?  or is that I go back and
> change the invoice dates to the payment dates?

No, there is no checkbox.  As I said, the definition of "payables"
implies accrual.  You just need to live with the fact that the dates are
accrual dates, not cash dates.  But as I said, that's only an issue if
they occur across a period.

> Regards,
> Richard

-derek