Accounting transaction to realize currency gain as income in the period? |WAS >> Re: Understanding the Balance Sheet - Unrealized Gain?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 25 12:19:03 EDT 2013

bunk3m <bunk3m at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all.
>
> I think I understand the unrealized gain now ... sort of.
>
> So how does one go about doing the double accounting entry to realize
> the gain as income in the period?

you don't -- it's unrealized.  It's not income until you realize the
gain by "selling" (trading) the asset.

> If I can't easily find the transactions that make up the unrealized
> gain/loss, I would need to do a clearing entry of the aggregate
> somehow.   So I can create half of the transaction by creating a revenue
> item called Currency Gain/Loss.  But what would the other side of that
> transaction be?
>
> I'm not an accountant so perhaps this is intuitively obvious for the
> accounting folks.
>
> I suspect this is something to do with the currency asset value but I
> got rid of all the last of the foreign currency and now have a zero
> balance in that account.

Did you account for the gain/loss when you traded those foreign-currency
assets?

> Thanks again for everyone's help.
>
> Cheers!
> B.