QB related questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 28 11:37:30 EDT 2013

Hi,

"Marshall Glickman, Echo Point Books & Media"
<marshall at echopointbooks.com> writes:

> Hi:
> I'm intrigued by GnuCash, but have some questions before looking into it
> further/trying:
>>Can my information be exported in a Quickbooks format my accountant could
> then read/use?

Not directly.  However you can generate various reports that your
accountant can use.  What I did was just create a Balance Sheet, Income
Statement, and a full Transaction Report and send those to my
accountant.  It was always sufficient for them.  Sometimes I'd have to
answer a specific question about a particular transaction, but that was
all.

>>Can I import my existing QB Pro 2009 files into GnuCash?

Not directly.  QB has a proprietary format, so there is no direct import
method because the data format has not been reverse-engineered.

>>Is it possible to change an expense en masse; for example, if I had
> categorized all my Fed Ex expenses as shipping and want to recategorize it
> to "postage and delivery"?

For this it depends.  If all you want to do is rename "shipping" to
"postage and delivery" or if you want to move ALL transactions from
"shipping" to "postage and delivery" then yes, it's easy to do either by
just renaming the account or by deleting the "shipping" account and
telling gnucash you want to move the transactions to "p&d".

However if you want to recategorize only some of the transactions from
"shipping" then no, you have to them one-at-a-time.  To simplify you
could do a "Find" to get all the transactions you want to change but
then you would have to change each one.  There are keyboard shortcuts to
help.

>>Can I import transactions into it via Excel, as I now do from Excel into
> Quickbooks?

GnuCash can import either a CSV or there is a Calc2QIF macro that will
allow you to generate a QIF file and allow you to use the QIF importer.

>>Can I/we (would be multiple users) print checks from it?

Note that GnuCash does not allow multiple, simultaneous users.  You can
have multiple users, but only one person may have the data file open at
a time.  But yes, from there you can print checks (or, rather, you can
have gnucash fill out pre-existing checks on check-stock paper).

Hope this helps,