Bond prices in GnuCash by means of Valora number?

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 04:40:44 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I should have explained this earlier:
"Valorennummer" or short "Valora" is the swiss counterpart of the north
american "CUSIP".

AFAIK nobody has published a F::Q module, which reads any swiss website.

Am 23.03.2013 15:13, schrieb John Ralls:

> On Mar 22, 2013, at 10:22 AM, rsbrux <rsbrux at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>> This site <http://www.finanzen.ch/obligationen/>  not only returns data for
>> Valora numbers, but also shows the equivalent ISIN.  So I now have ISINs for
>> the securities in question.

This is a first step.

Only in german we have the wiki page
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/De/Aktienhandel
which might have a few clues - sorry, I had no time to backport it into
the english part.

Often something similar to
  http://[<2-letter-region-code>.]finance.yahoo.com/lookup?s=<ISIN>
returns a result.

If not, I would use google with the ISIN and compare the search result
list with the list of the sources in F::Q.

  gnc-fq-check
returns the list _under linux_. I don't know how to call this perl
script under OSX or Windows.

Now I would test the symbol, which I found on the site with
  gnc-fq-dump [-v] <Source> <Symbol1> [<Symbol2> ...]

If the result is strange or gnucash fails with that source/symbol pair,
I use
  echo '(<source> "<symbol>")' | gnc-fq-helper
to get the result in LISP notation.

This gnc-fq-* commands are perl scripts to access F::Q in the same
manner as Gnucash would do.

>> Can you recommend one of the existing sources
>> in Finance::Quote to retrieve them from using the ISIN?  I have tried a
>> half-dozen and have so far gotten either an error message for the particular
>> security (and successful retrieval of the others) or Finance::Quote has hung
>> completely, and had to be terminated.
>> Thanks for your help!
>>

> No, I really can't. I generally avoid investing directly in bonds (I prefer low-cost bond ETFs), so I don't have any experience with getting quotes for them.
>
> F::Q hangs are a problem, though. You should file a bug agains F::Q at
> http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Finance-Quote
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

HTH