Generating Customer Bills

HerbEber herb.eber at psychologicalresources.com
Fri Mar 29 14:51:22 EDT 2013

Derek,

Your answer implies that our books are "done in pencil" i.e. alterable to
correct errors. "Correct" errors, not correct the effects.  Some accountants
I know would have kittens.  What used to be called "pen and ink" created a
permanent record, warts and all, and then recorded needed (and performed)
corrections.

All of this assumes that, in GNUcash, altering an erroneous entry does not
leave indelible tracks.  Does it?  I cannot tell and this brings me to my
concern: GNUcash does superb things automatically; it does not (to my
knowledge) enable user easily to manipulate known parameters.  E.g., How can
I change the placement of information on a report?  Sometimes, by altering
font size with GNUcash automatically adjusting margins, border, boxes etc.
Now trial and error is not a bad way to do forms design (nor particularly
good either) but in more precise areas, parameters are crucial.  My
discomfort is based on my difficulty in parameterizing what GNUseems to be
doing.

Is this on purpose?  I may be overinterpreting but it seems to me that the
change from programs to "apps" has been accompanied by laxness in the
structures in many cases.  On the other hand, 35 years in Windows World may
have left me incapable of shifting gears to Linux/Unix/whatever superlogic
may be behind the structures.

In the 1960-80s, we used to joke about revising the problem to become
something that IBM can solve; it was, like most jokes, not devoid of a germ
of truth.   Many times, that is a legitimate approach if it will lead to the
useful results.

I have already learned from you that sometimes the answer is in precise
attention to a seemingly broad statement the manuals.  Other suggestions are
welcome. Oh, and as to "corrections," is the evidence of what was done
remain?

Herb