Entering Scheduled transactions early

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 15:08:32 EDT 2013

On 30 Mar 2013, at 15:23, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/29/2013 10:00 PM, Keith Royall wrote:
>> My UK State Pension is automatically paid into my Bank Account each Monday,
>> and I have set up a scheduled transaction in GnuCash for it. However, when
>> the Monday is a bank holiday, this payment is paid into my account on the
>> previous Friday.
>>
>> How do I enter the transaction early without affecting the normal scheduled
>> Monday payments?
>>
>> Regards
>>
> That is a good question.  I believe that I asked for that or an
> equivalent feature a very long time ago, but afiak, there is no trivial
> way to do it.

Is there any value in correcting the date of a scheduled payment?

When you post a cheque through your accounts you presumably date it according to the date on which it was signed, knowing that it will be paid at some later date, depending on postal delays, and the recipient's keenness to get his hands on the money! Do you adjust the dates on these transactions when you get your bank statement?

Even with credit card payments, the date that is recorded on the statement is often later than the date of the transaction itself.

In practice, I have my scheduled transactions processed a month in advance, and when I open up my bank account in GnuCash I can see future transactions below the blue line and get advance warning of potential overdrafts.

Michael