GNU cash slow to load

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 31 06:40:27 EDT 2013

On 03/30/2013 06:15 PM, Liz wrote:
[snip]
> As some have hinted, the size of the data file is part of the problem
> of "slow loading" as the entire data file has to be loaded at startup.
> My biggest datafile is 547Kb compressed, and probably uncompresses to
> the 8Mb mark. It has data from 1995.
> It loads in 12 seconds on a computer I've had for some years, but I
> have put an SSD in it for my OS (Debian unstable).
> This speeds up all program loading and is a relatively simple option,
> cheaper than the new computer.

I run two instances of GnuCash, one under one user and one under
another. They both take quite a while to "load." In my case, it is "my
own fault." I leave several reports open in each. So the program loads
fairly quickly, but then it has to calculate the reports before I get to
use the program. My machine has a 4-core Intel Xeon processor. The worst
report is the one that computes Income/Expense chart report.

This is not a complaint requesting that the report be generated more
quickly. As I said, it is my own fault.