Reorder Sub Accounts?

Ian Konen iankonen at gmail.com
Mon May 6 10:06:54 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Christopher Lam
<christopher.lck at gmail.com>wrote:

> How about setting Account Codes properly? Here's a snapshot of my chart of
> accounts:
>
> Assets 001
> Liabilities 002
> Income 003
> Expenses 004
> -Bank charges 0041
> -Entertainment 0042
>
> Then you click on the "Account Code" column to sort alphabetically.

Oh nuts...you gave me too much credit.  I just completely failed to notice
the column headers were clickable.  I should have recognized those little
black arrows.  Clicking on "Account Name" does what I was looking for in
the first place (alphabetical within categories, but not mixing account
types or otherwise messing with the hierarchy of parent/child accounts).

Of course, on second thought, I didn't really want the very top level
accounts reordered relative to each other, so actually the account code
trick worked.  I only assigned the top level parent accounts (same numbers
you've got) and having first sorted alphabetically, then resorted by
account code, I get the desired effect (Expenses after Income and
Liabilities, but subaccounts within expenses etc. are sorted
alphabetically).

Michael...appreciate the the tip also, but yeah I was actually trying to
get them sorted alphabetically in the first place, not override
alphabetical with another sort priority.  I think they were just sorted by
creation order or something (maybe not by design, just that when a new
account is created it's tacked onto the end of the list until the list is
explicitly reordered?), so the list was *mostly* alphabetical because I was
using the automatically created set of accounts from the startup wizard,
but a few originals were out of order (Possibly because there are multiple
account charts in the setup wizard that can be combined), and all the ones
I'd added were at the end.

Thanks for the help.