Investment Types

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 7 12:44:25 EDT 2013

Hi,

Les <lelliott5 at gmail.com> writes:

> When I started using GC, I tried to add a foreign stock to my list of
> investments but failed because I did not understand the codes for
> different exchanges.  So, I tried to create the stock with a type
> "template" instead of an exchange (NYSE, etc.) I created it in the
> security editor.  Is there any way to delete this?
> Mint Linux with GC 2.4.10.

I am afraid that you fell into a Bug Trap, from which there is,
unfortunately, no escape.  I recommend you revert to a backup datafile
from before you created that security and do it correctly.

Do NOT use the "template" stock type -- it's a bug that it's even
visible, and it's reserved for internal use.  (I believe this bug has
been fixed in the 2.5 testing series but was never backported to 2.4).
Instead, you should have just typed in whatever type you wanted; it's a
free-form text field that just has some pre-populated entries.

Alas, there is no easy recovery.  That's why I suggest reverting to a
backup.

Sorry,