One transaction from two accounts to one

Alois Mahdal Alois.Mahdal.1-ndmail at zxcvb.cz
Wed May 8 17:36:02 EDT 2013

On Wed, 8 May 2013 20:29:54 +0200
Alois Mahdal <Alois.Mahdal.1-ndmail at zxcvb.cz> wrote:

> How should I record these cases?  I'm trying to use "split"
> for that but balance plays jokes on me I'm probably
> misunderstanding the feature completely.

Finally I have figured it out.  For the scenario with 100CZK as
20CZK and 1 80-CZK voucher:

1 - Open the cash account
2 - Start filling in transaction: name, date
3 - Click Split
  > new line appears with cash account
4 - Put 20 in the Spend column
  > new line appears with 20 in Receive
5 - Delete 20 from Receive and put 80 (we're speaking in CZK
    here) in Spend
6 - For this line, select the Voucher account and move to next
    line
7 - When leaving this line, Transfer Funds dialog appears
    (From: CZK to: voucher "currency"), where you can specify
    voucher price; leave this as is
8 - In third line, select your Food account and tenter 100 into
    Receive[2] column
9 - Finish the transaction

At this moment, I always have to go to voucher account and fix
values there; I can't figure out what exactly to put in the
Transfer Funds dialog[1].  This is probably problem that comes
with (ab)using Security concept for vouchers, it would be
probably much easier to keep voucher account in CZK unless
Gnucash had specific support for vouchers.

What I found most confusing was the naming of the column
Receive in transaction split.  Thinking of the food expenses
account as *someone else's* account that actually received
something helped a lot.

Thanks,
aL.

--