0 price for total loss of shares

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Wed May 15 13:38:27 EDT 2013

---- Stefano M Canta <cantastefano at gmail.com> wrote:
> A 0.0 price does not work.
> Let's say I have 100 shares and I have a loss on 2.
> I will write a transaction for  -2 shares at a price of 0, but the advanced
> report for some reason can't compute the basis anymore when I have two or
> three of these total loss transactions.

Um.. you've lost me.
A share implies an equal share. You can't have 100 shares, 2 of which are priced at 0.0 and the other 98 are priced at something else. I assume I'm mot understanding your meaning.

However, I do see a problem.
I started a new set of accounts, created a security, symbol ABC under assets ad bought 100 shares for $1000.00.
Next I used the price editer and set the price to 0.00 the day after I bought it.
Then I ran the advanced report for that day. It correctly shows the basis as $1000.00 and the current value of $0.00.

The next day I entered a transaction to sell the worthless shares for $0.00. The value of 0.0 in the deposit column is removed and the dialog asking how many shares to sell does not appear. I don't have time now but I will try to add the capital gains and see if that makes any difference.

Also, and this is a question more than an answer, if you sell the stock, it doesn't show up in the advanced report any more, correct?

Steve