Assets with a negative value treated as zero in reports

Keith Bellairs keith at bellairs.org
Thu May 16 09:26:01 EDT 2013

Accountants allow negative value assets onto balance sheets. They are
called contra-accounts. For example, your mortgage on your house can be put
in a contra-account below the asset account for the house. The result is
that you see the net value for the asset. And your bank does not see your
overdrawn checking account as your "liability" account. It is an asset
account with a credit balance. Shit happens.

I never noticed GNC treating credit-balance asset accounts like this. Guess
I should pay more attention to my reports.