Aw: Re: sequential use of Gnucash on multiple computers

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue May 21 05:52:21 EDT 2013

On Monday 20 May 2013 12:16:14 Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>    Sorry for top posting!
>
>    Thanks to all, this is really helpful. Steven - I did not know about
>    saving data uncomp[ressed. This makes indeed a huge difference in a
>    variety of ways.
>
>    Just to clarify - if two edits  happen on the same file and get merged
>    - this does not cause any grief? This was the main concern I had. Are
>    transactions numbered in any form?

There is no transaction numbering that will be useful or harmful in this
context.

Transactions are identified by unique identifiers (guids). So even if you
entered the same transaction on both pc's there is very little chance they
would have the same guid (which is randomly generated). Also the timestamps of
the two transactions would be different.

Additionally, svn doesn't know the gnucash data format so it has no way to
check if transactions should be the same or not.

It just sees two text files that both have changed in a different way compared
to a common ancestor file. If the changes don't conflict (on the text file
level!), they will be merged without issues and your new file will contain
both.

But I'd expect concurrent changes on different PC's to conflict more often
than not from a pure text point of view, even though you may have entered two
totally unrelated transactions in the two PCs.

As a result, using svn will not provide you asynchronous use of your gnucash
file on two separate PCs. IMO you should synchronize before/after each use on
either PC.

Geert