Aw: Re: Re: Re: sequential use of Gnucash on multiple computers

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue May 21 08:20:31 EDT 2013

To be honest I don't know. You will have to run additional and more elaborate experiments to
verify this.

I would not rule out unexpected data corruption purely on the basic premise that svn
doesn't understand the gnucash data file semantics (transactions, accounts, splits,
currencies,...). It just sees a bunch of text. You shouldn't let a program that doesn't know the
gnucash data semantics change your data for you. That's just basic common sense and also
why we still advise everyone to only alter their data files using the gnucash api (be it in C,
guile or python).

How bad it would play out in practice, I can't predict. All I know is that I personally wouldn't
risk my business data on this, because it's way beyond the tested use case of GnuCash.

Geert