Why is this happening?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 21 11:32:02 EDT 2013

Hi,

JOSEPH AIELLO <jraiello at verizon.net> writes:

> Hi Derek;
>
>     So I established an Opening Balance of $1000 in the checking acct
>     of the Asset account as follows:
>     assets $1000
>         current assets $1000
>                checking acct $1000
>     equity $1000

I'm not sure what you're showing me here.  My guess is that you're
showing me a report, but that doesn't mean much; you could still have
entered the data improperly.  Perhaps you can just show a screen shot of
your checking account register?

>      conduct a payroll expense of $400 and get the following:

>      Assets $600
>           .
>           checking acct $600
>      Expenses $400

>     Equity $1000

Again, this doesn't help show how you are entering your data...

>     looking at the Equity statement, I get this:
>     ***************************************************************
>
>     Capital, 01/01/2013     $0.00
>     Net loss for Period $400.00
>     Investments for Period $2,800.00
>     Withdrawals for Period $1,800.00
>     Increase in capital     $600.00
>     Capital, 12/31/2013     $600.00
>
>     How did Investments and Withdrawals get these values?

I don't know -- I would need to see how you entered your data.  It looks
like all your data should be in your Checking Account, so if you just
post a screen shot of that register it should help clear things up.
Feel free to use a site like imagebin if you prefer.