****Probably SPAM**** (5.001) Re: Deleting old set of books

David Both david at both.org
Wed May 29 09:27:29 EDT 2013

   Thanks for your quick response. See my responses below.

   On 05/29/2013 09:18 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

   On Wednesday 29 May 2013 08:57:38 David Both wrote:

   > I have two old sets of books that I have used for testing certain
   entries

   > for my business books. I also have two sets of real books, one for my

   > business and one for my personal finances.

   > I have finished with one of the sets of test books and would like to
   delete

   > that set of books. I can find no way to do that.

   > Question 1: Can anyone tell me how to delete a set of books?

   Hi David,

   A set of books is just a file on your computer. So you delete it just
   like you delete any other file: use your file manager to locate the
   book on your PC and then delete it/move it to your trash.
   I have tried this in the past and deleted the files that start with the
   name of the set of books I wished to delete from ~/GnuCash. The files
   are gone, but the choices still remain in the "Files" menu along with
   my current sets of books. I am using Fedora 18 and GnuCash 2.4.13.

     > Also, having used GnuCash for over 13 years, I have many old
     transactions

     > hanging around.

     > Question 2: Is there any way to prevent display of transactions
     that are

     > more than, say, 2 years old, or some other arbitrary age, while
     still

     > maintaining the integrity of the books? This would also require
     some way to

     > access older transactions if required for some reason.

     Yes there is but with some limitations.

     You can do this as follows:

     - open a register for the account you want to view a limited set of
     transactions.

     - Go to View->Filter By...

     - Specify the date range you like

     There are two limitations:

     1. you will have to do this per account. There is no global option.

     2. The filter will be reset when you close the register. So you have
     to do it each time you open the register.

     The second limitation will be fixed in GnuCash 2.6 in the relatively
     near future. The first one is still there.

   That sounds good. Thanks!

     Geert

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we
 don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
 - Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, 1931