GNUCASH Data File Name Question **SOLVED**

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 2 15:41:41 EDT 2013

On 11/02/2013 12:53 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2013, at 8:04 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I have been using gnucash for several years and the file name I have used is gnu-data under my home directory. That file got destroyed and now I am using a file I recovered from the logs (THANK GOD!).
>>
>> I copied that file to a file with the same name as I had been using. However, I have not been successful in getting the file to work. For some reason gnucash will not open it up or does so in an improper fashion.
>>
>> This is the command I am using to start gnucash:
>>
>> gnucash ~/gnu-data
>>
>> It starts up but displays a blank window.
>>
>> How do I recover things so that I can used the same name I have been using.
>>
>> The docs say to use .gnucash as an extension. But that if you have been using a file without the extension you can continue to use it.
>>
>> I am using GnuCash 2.4.10 under Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS with all updates applied.
>>

> Try View>NewAccountsPage.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

John,

That did it!

I opened up gnucash from the command line with the file gnu-data, which I had
coppied from one with the name gnu-data.gnucash and did as you suggested. All
the accounts appeared, so I saved it and then opened it using the launcher and
everything was as I have been used to.

Thanks to all,
Jay

--