Balance sheet unrealized losses

whwtan whwtan at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 3 20:55:21 EST 2013

On 4/11/2013 3:00 AM, Paul Nadolny wrote:
> Lets say I have a total balance sheet asset of MZN 30.000,00 at the end of
> last year and at the end of this year the total balance sheet asset is MZN
> 20.000,00. So the overall value of my operation has lost MZN 10.000,00.
> During the year the USD assets have lost value from drop in currency
> exchange rates. I think that this is called "unrealized loss" because if
> the exchange rate of USD goes up again, the USD assets that are in the bank
> will give me more MZN. But is it possible to calculate the difference? I
> checked all the reports but can't see anything that helps.
The balance sheet tells you where you "stand" right now. The report
which tells you what happened in between is the Income Statement.
So these two reports work hand in hand.

Based on your example, you have a balance sheet last year with MZN 30k,
this year it is MZN 20k.
Somewhere between this year, you have wound up with MZN 10k which left
your balance sheet.

If you do suspect it is your unrealised loss which is making up the
missing 10k, it is because the default report for Income Statement
leaves out your trading account.
All you need to do is head into your Income Statement report options
(you do that after you select the report), select the Accounts tab.
One of the un-highlighted will be your trading account. Once you select
it "with children" and show all exchange rates in the "Commodities" tab
they will appear. [Yes this is definitely a user interface weakness of
Gnucash. It is un-intuitive]
You should see a Trading Account and it will show a loss of 10k.

> Who know's maybe this is not even important. What do you think?
> Paul
The balance sheet is basically a snapshot of how you look right now and
the income statement tells you how you get there from the previous
balance sheet.
It is completely reasonable for you to wonder why you have 10k less,
that is why you are doing your accounts in the first place. (in addition
to tax reporting) You want to be able to answer to yourself why it is
10k less so you can know where you stand and what to do next.

The key thing about the balance sheet is that it also "balances" your
Assets are going to be balanced with your Liabilities and Equity.