getting source using git

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 4 15:33:10 EST 2013

For some time now I've been wanting better investment tracking ability in GnuCash staring with stock lots and eventually having some way to track options. Inspired by the recent "Chapter 8 - investment accounts" thread, I decided to jump in but I seem to have tripped over the bottom rope.

Starting with the instructions at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building I decided to use git and followed the link to http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git but:

$ pwd
/home/steve/Development/steve

$ git clone git://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.git --verbose
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/steve/Development/steve/gnucash/.git/
github.com[0: 192.30.252.131]: errno=Connection refused
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)

I'm new to git but I found the --verbose flag which seems to indicate some kind of authentication is required.
After a bit of research I decided that I might need to create an account on github but I got the same results.

Clearly I'm missing something.

I'm running on up-to-date CentOS 6 VMware virtual machine on a Windows 7 box.

Steve.