Automatic price quotes & PostgreSQL backend

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 6 17:21:27 EST 2013

David <dgpickett at aol.com> writes:

> So, it is an in-RAM app, with a big save?  The C++ and JAVA container objects
> lure one in that direction, along with virtual memory and large modern RAM.

For XML-backed instances, yes.  For SQL-backed instances GnuCash does do
incremental writes as you commit, but it does NOT go to the DB on reads.

> Any chance it will grow up and use an RDBMS more normally?  When I hit enter,
> I expect the transaction left behind to be committed to disk, but instead the
> save button lights up!  There is not any auto-save, either.  No rollback

Yep.  See above.  There is a long-term plan to make it more DB-friendly,
but GnuCash started without SQL support so the first step was to get it
to use a DB like it uses XML, and then later migrate into being more of
a DB app.  SQLite didn't exist 15-20 years ago when GnuCash was starting
out, and Joe Average User does not have the knowledge to deploy and
manage MySQL or PG.

> button, either.    Why the failure to write?

Because XML isn't random-write, you have to write out the whole
document.

-derek