Automatic price quotes & PostgreSQL backend

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Nov 7 08:49:14 EST 2013

On Wednesday 06 November 2013 16:11:46 David wrote:
> wmcntl -c GnuCash works as well as you said, but hangs on the dialog
> if anything is not saved.
Yes, it's up to you to make sure nothing is left unsaved when the
cronjob runs. If you make the cron job run long enough after your last
edit, that could be solved with the autosave feature already in GnuCash.
Otherwise 2.5.7 indeed can be configured to save on close automatically
after a timeout.

>  What's the virtue of having stuff not
> saved?  It is just data looking to get lost, not why you use a tool
> like this.

As said before on this thread, the gnucash core was written a long time
ago, well before sqlite existed. Regarding unsaved data, it uses the
idiom of typical office applications: you save your work when you are
happy with it. Not saving immediately can be a (crude) way to undo
mistakes.

It may not be the optimal way for things to work from your perspective,
but that's simply the way it is currently and probably will be for some
time.

>  It's be nice if GnuCash took some signal and saved and exited.

There's no way that I know of coded directly into GnuCash. But GnuCash
is a gtk based application. Does Gtk have such features (for example
using dbus) ? I'm just guessing here.

Geert