building from source.

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Thu Nov 7 12:20:52 EST 2013

---- Steve <zephod at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> ---- Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
> > Steve,

> > So the only way forward I see for that is installing something like
> > virtualbox with a distribution that does have recent enough versions of
> > the above mentioned libraries. Almost all other current distros do.
> >
> > Sorry for the bad news.
>
> Hmmm... that is bad news. I used to use Fedora but I switched when thay got into the GNOME 3 thing. I guess I could see if they have sorted that out now. I have a Ubuntu box at work but I don't like that either.

So I installed Fedora 19 in a VM (The UI is as bad as I thought it was going to be but at least they have a GNOME classic look which although not as good as it used to be, is at least tolerable) installed autogen, automake, libtool intltool swig and guile-devel but I get this error when trying o compile:

$ ../configure --enable-compile-warnings --enable-debug
checking for guile-1.8 >= 1.8.5... no
checking for guile-2.0 >= 2.0.0... yes
checking GUILE_CFLAGS... -pthread -I/usr/include/guile/2.0
checking GUILE_LIBS... -lguile-2.0 -lgc
checking for guile... /usr/bin/guile
checking if guile needs our copy of (guile www)... ../configure: line 20830: syntax error near unexpected token `gnc_have_guile_www,'
../configure: line 20830: `GUILE_MODULE_AVAILABLE(gnc_have_guile_www,(www main))'

I've checked all the dependencies listed here http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Dependencies

Steve

---- Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote
> You are probably missing a bunch of -devel packages. This one looks like guile.  Yet running yum-builddep gnucash to pull in most of the deps. Also read the README.dependencies doc

guile-devel would be the obvious one but I had already checked that before I posted.
I ran yum-builddep gnucash and pulled in a couple of extra packages but I still get the same error. The fact that it reports a syntax error makes me think there could be a bug in the configure script.

Steve