building from source.

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Nov 8 03:32:54 EST 2013

On Thursday 07 November 2013 17:00:17 Steve wrote:
> ---- Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Steve <zephod at cfl.rr.com> writes:
> > > So I installed Fedora 19 in a VM (The UI is as bad as I thought it
> > > was going to be but at least they have a GNOME classic look which
> > > although not as good as it used to be, is at least tolerable)
> > > installed autogen, automake, libtool intltool swig and
> > > guile-devel but I get this error when trying o compile:
> > >
> > > $ ../configure --enable-compile-warnings --enable-debug
> > > checking for guile-1.8 >= 1.8.5... no
> > > checking for guile-2.0 >= 2.0.0... yes
> > > checking GUILE_CFLAGS... -pthread -I/usr/include/guile/2.0
> > > checking GUILE_LIBS... -lguile-2.0 -lgc
> > > checking for guile... /usr/bin/guile
> > > checking if guile needs our copy of (guile www)... ../configure:
> > > line
> > > 20830: syntax error near unexpected token `gnc_have_guile_www,'
> > > ../configure: line 20830:
> > > GUILE_MODULE_AVAILABLE(gnc_have_guile_www,(www main))'
> > >
> > > I've checked all the dependencies listed here
> > > http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Dependencies
> > >
> > > Steve
> > >
> > > ---- Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote

> > > guile-devel would be the obvious one but I had already checked
> > > that
> > > before I posted.
> > > I ran yum-builddep gnucash and pulled in a couple of extra
> > > packages
> > > but I still get the same error. The fact that it reports a syntax
> > > error makes me think there could be a bug in the configure script.
> >
> > GUILE_MODULE_AVAILABLE is defined in /usr/share/aclocal/guile.m4 (at
> > least on my F18 system).  On my system this is in guile-devel, but
> > in
> > F18 it's guile-1.8, not guile-2.  Make sure you have that file
> > installed; you may need to find the right package using 'yum
> > provides'>
> > > Steve
>
> Derek,
>
> These are the guile packages I have installed:
> $ rpm -qa | grep guile
> guile-lib-0.1.6-5.fc18.noarch
> guile-2.0.9-1.fc19.i686
> compat-guile18-1.8.8-6.fc19.i686
> compat-guile18-devel-1.8.8-6.fc19.i686
> guile-devel-2.0.9-1.fc19.i686

Hi Steve,

I'm working on Fedora 19 as well (64-bit). I can build GnuCash with
guile2 just fine. What branch have you checked out ?

I don't have the compat-guile18-devel package installed on my system and
I think it will cause you trouble further on due to a weak check in
configure: our configure file will first check for the presence of guile
1.8, and then for the name of the guile binary. This last test is too
weak and will result in an improperly configured build environment.

See, if you install compat-guile18-devel, configure will detect guile
1.8 on your system, but the guile binary for 1.8 is called guile1.8. But
gnucash only checks for "guile", which is the name of the guile 2.0
binary. So in this setup, you end up with CFLAGS and LDFLAGS for guile
1.8, but with the guile executable for guile 2.0.

So you will either have to remove the compat-guile18-devel package or
guile 2 in order to continue. I'm not sure you can remove the latter
very easily.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the cause of your problem. From
the original configure output you posted I can read that compat-guile18-
devel wasn't installed yet at that point. So the error should come from
somewhere else.

I'd also try Derek's suggestion and running ./autogen.sh again first.

Geert