Bad Debts Recording

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Nov 8 11:54:08 EST 2013

On Fri 8 November 13 20:27:49 Omer Hayat wrote:
> thanks for the responses.
> If I were to put down Maf's method in double entry form, then it would be:
> 1st entry:Dr Bank    Cr A/c receivable
> then, 2nd entry:Dr Bad debts    Cr Bank
> Which can be summarised in a single entry as:Dr Bad debts   Cr A/c
> receivable It would have been better if this was possible thru the 'Pay
> Invoice' dialog.

Hi,

Not exactly.

You can't "process payment" to an expense account.  It is a GC limitation.
AFAIK, it isn't being changed in the development 2.5 series.

So as an intermediate step, you pay to a bank account, then edit that
transaction from the bank account side and end up with a transaction between
AR and Exp:BadDebts, not two transactions. (as per your summary).

You did also ask about a partial default, which would be a split transaction
eg
Dr 30 bank
Dr 70 bad debt
CR 100 AR

process payment for the full 100 to bank, then manually split it out as
required.

HTH,
Maf.