Renumbering subaccounts without hyphen

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 12:37:49 EST 2013

On 11/12/2013 9:53 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cat P <barking at gmx.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Derek,
>>
>> Many thanks for you reply. My question is about renumbering (Edit >
>> Renumber Subaccounts...), not renaming.
>>
>> It would be a very useful option to me if there was a way to get rid of
>> the separating hyphen (getting, for example, 4010, 4020, 4030 instead of
>> 40-10, 40-20, 40-30).
>>
>> Thanks for any input,
> Ah, sorry, I mistread "renumber" as "rename".  I've never used this
> feature so I have no answer for you.  Sorry.  (Honestly, I didn't even
> know the feature existed -- and it's greyed out for me)
>
>> Cat
> -derek
>

>> On 11/11/2013 17:04, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I am not sure I understand the question.  What "hyphen"?
>>>
>>> When looking at an account's Full Name in the hierarchy it will always
>>> combine each account in the tree with the account separator character;
>>> there is no way around that (you can choose the character in your
>>> preferences).  But an account's local name is whatever you make it, so
>>> long as it is unique amongst its siblings.

>>> -derek

The help info in the manual suggests it will only be available when you
are in the chart of accounts and have the highlight on an account that
already has 'children', which is quite restrictive.

The manual goes on to describe only cases with the hyphen as Cat
originally described.  I just tried it and that indeed is how it works.
It appears to have the flexibility to over-write previous account
numbering with new values.

I think that it always pre-pends the child accounts with the parent
account code in an attempt to make sorting by account number continue to
work but that actually fails at the hyphen.  This will probably also
fail when entering the account code with a hyphen into the account field
in the register.

I believe that it could be made to work if the hyphen could be omitted
altogether and the child accounts were simply given additional digits
after the parent account code according the rule defined by the wizard.

Alternatively, the rest of the account code processing would have to be
revised to accept the hyphen, and if this is done it would make sense to
allow a user preference for other characters such as period or
underscore, for example.

I would be willing to submit a bug report for this.

David C