Opening balance reconciling investment account incorrect.

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Nov 14 10:42:59 EST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, November 14, 2013 10:07 am, hnaparst wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
>   Thanks for your comments.  I do not have an account-map file.  I only
> have a QIF file.  This is the file that Gnucash asks for when doing the

Um, are you sure?  qif-accounts-map is an internally-generated file that
helps GnuCash remember your account mappings from run-to-run.  It lives in
$HOME/.gnucash and probably exists if you've ever successfully run a QIF
Import with GnuCash.  GnuCash creates (and then re-reads) this file.
Please look again.

> import.   You might take a look at my bug 712222, where I attached the QIF
> file.  The bug occurs both for securities accounts and current asset
> accounts.  Actually, it occurs with about 80% of the QIF files I try to
> import.  The other 20% work fine.

For what it's worth, I can reproduce the issue with the supplied QIF, and
I can still reproduce it even if I remove the å character (which is
already in UTF8, at least in the downloaded data).

>    By the way, after running iconv as you suggested, I did a diff to see
> if
> any changes had been made to the QIF file.  None had.
>
>   Regarding unreproducible bugs, I would just say that if the developer is
> unable to reproduce the bug in an environment that is what the user has
> stated he has, then the dev should close the bug with the status "Works
> for
> me."  This is what Gentoo does.  Of course, Gentoo has a facility that
> allows the user to print out a pretty detailed state of his environment,
> so
> the dev can see if the user has done something wrong.   Leaving more than
> thousand bugs forever open seems wrong, somehow.

The vast majority of entries in Bugzilla are enhancement requests, not
bugs.  It doesn't make sense to just close them out; they exist to let
potential developers know what people are looking for.  As for real bugs,
we have orders of magnitude more people using gnucash and reporting bugs
than we do triaging and trying to fix them.

> Regards,
> Harold

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745