Opening balance reconciling investment account incorrect.

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 13:03:24 EST 2013

From: hnaparst <harold at alum.mit.edu>
To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org

Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:51 AM
Subject: Re: Opening balance reconciling investment account incorrect.

Indeed I have tried to remove the å, on the assumption that this character
is too advanced for Gnucash to handle.  Even though the Swedes have been
using it for centuries.

The result is that the import still fails with the same popup message.  The
trace file is similar to the one I reported in bug 712222:
It appears that there are several bugs with the QIF import.  I marked this
as a "blocking" level bug, because accounting is basically a data entry,
and if it is impossible to bulk-enter data, then the program is at best a
curiosity.

Harold--

I understand your frustration that GnuCash is not working the way you would like it to. I am pleased that Derek has been able to duplicate the problem with your QIF example.

I disagree with your assertion that the failure of GnuCash to import your QIF data constitutes a blocking-level bug.

First, I can say with confidence that QIF import predominantly works, since I use it all the time successfully. So, there is a distinct possibility that there is a problem with the QIF file. With the QIF you provided, I trust the developers will be able to determine what the problem is in your case.

More fundamentally, however, the ability to import transactions is NOT a defining element of this software's usability. The fact that you can't import your transactions doesn't prevent you from entering your financial data, since you can still enter it manually. In fact, there are many GnuCash users (the more traditionalist ones with accounting backgrounds) who suggest that importing transactions is a mistake, and should be avoided in preference to manual data entry, as that will provide the user with a data-check against the bank's reckoning.

Again, I understand your frustration, and expect you will determine whether GnuCash is the right software for your needs.

David