ending off books

Chris Bester chrisbester at cybersmart.co.za
Sat Nov 23 08:08:02 EST 2013

Hi Liz
Thank you for your advice and to all the other friends offering advice.

I am writing from South Africa and may be my terminology is different from
yours.  In Patel, Quick Books, Brilliant etc., your program automatically
does an end of year.  Your books are not in effect closed off and stopped,
it does carry on.  However, it automatically starts a new year with all the
ending balances of the previous year appearing as opening balances ,for the
new year.  They all then have a continuous facility, for whenever you want
to recall information, from the previous year.  The advantage of this is;
that there is no chance of contaminating your present books with that of the
previous year.

I do understand what you are saying, but being new to Gnucash,  I am
slightly confused.

Thanks
Chris