Simple instructions to add my own quote source

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Nov 24 13:41:33 EST 2013

Hi,

On Sun, November 24, 2013 12:35 pm, farleykj wrote:
> I'd like to be able to automatically download prices for my EE series US
> Federal Bonds. I've put together a perl module that obtains these prices
> for
> me, given the issue date, series, etc.
> The problem is, I can't, despite all my efforts and a lot of searching,
> get
> Gnucash to "see" this new source.
> I've added the module to the Quote::Finance script directory structure, as
> "Quote::Finance::USBonds".
> Issuance of the command "perl -e 'use Finance::Quote::USBonds'" doesn't
> return any errors.
>
> I'm running Gnucash 2.4.13 on Mac OSX.
> Perl is v5.12.4
>
> Are there any instructions as to how to get Gnucash to know about a new
> quote source I've added? Is there some esoteric inclusions I need to get
> the
> code to work or be recognized?

You need to update F::Q to make sure it knows about your new source.
Most likely right now it doesn't, and therefore is not reporting its
presence to GnuCash.

For example, this code needs to report your quote grabber:

my $q = Finance::Quote->new;
my @sources = $q->sources();
printf "Available sources are: \n     %s\n\n", join(' ', @sources);

Once it does, GnuCash can see it and will be able to use it.

> Would it be advisable for me to post the actual Perl code?
>

> -----
> Ken Farley

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745