SQL BackEnd Clarification

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Nov 26 08:11:01 EST 2013

> And so, multi-user is unsupported in the current version, because when
> writing to the database, changes made by others are overwritten /
> undone and may result in inconsistency in the data. Is support for
> multi-user on the wishlist, and if so, is it in current progress or
> what is its priority?

Maybe I can clarify that question?

Perhaps not obvious to our community of users but THIS (support for
multiple simultaneous users of a database) isn't just a matter for the
application.

FIRST -- there must exist a DBM (database manager) program for that
database. All programs providing multiple simultaneous users access
would need to be changed so that they could run under the control of
this DBM but the DBM wouldn't be part of any of them.

SECOND -- gnucash would need changes so that it could run under this DBM.

It would be far beyond the scope of any single program project (like
gnucash) to include creation of an open source DBM for the SQL database.
So our first question should be is there already an open source DBM or
if not, is there a project team working on one, etc. Only if there is
already a DBM ready to use should we be asking the gnucash developers
about whether they have plans to make gnucash able to run under it
(that, all by itself, involves substanital changes).

Michael D Novack, FLMI