Accounting for Capital Gain when Selling Shares

coolnodje coolnodje at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 28 06:36:45 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to follow the Gnucash Guide, in section "8.7. Selling Shares"
to account for capital gain when selling shares.

I find myself unable to follow the process, particularly when
reproducing the table 8.1 which indicates the Split transaction scheme:
The version of Gnucash I use (2.4.13) doens't allow for a null count in
stock shares:
Assets:Stock:SYMBOL	0	0	PROFIT	(Loss)

I'm unable to create a split with a 0 amount of shares and a 0 price
that would balance the transfer from an Income: Capital gain account.
Gnucash would put a default 1 share priced at the value of the gain,
which messes up the share counts.

(I'm using the trading account mode, I'm not sure this plays a role here)

Is there any other way to account for capital gain when sell stocks?

Best regards
/nodje