Income increase is shown as unbalanced, what to do?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 2 10:58:24 EDT 2013

Lake <lake100 at yahoo.com> writes:

>> I do not understand your problem.  Income does not add up to zero.  If
>> you were talking about salary, you would see it increasing with each
>> paycheck.
>
>  I'm trying to enter eBay sales in GnuCash, not salary.

Okay, so you open your Assets:Banks:EBay account and create a
transaction (assuming you're in Basic Mode):

  Date   Description  Transfer      Desposit   Withdrawal
  <date> <Buyer Name> Income:Sales  <txn amt>

>> ...does not add up to zero.
>
> Now I don't understand what does it mean :)
> What zero? The problem was with income (sales) in red.

What it means is that in any single transaction the sum of the debits ==
the sum of the credits.  Gnucash enforces this invariant.  I.e., if you
Deposit money into a Bank Account it has to come *from* somewhere
(e.g. Income:Sales).  So you debit your bank and credit income.  This
will "increase" both the bank and income.

>>  You will see red in the income account depending on how you have your
>> preferences set under
>> Edit>Preferences>Accounts>Reverse Balanced Accounts.
>
> This solved my problem completely, now income is in black and expenses are
> in red.

Um, this does NOT sound like it's correct..  Nothing should be in "Red"