AU tax invoicing

David davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Oct 2 20:27:35 EDT 2013

shane litherland <litherland.farm <at> gmail.com> writes:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> re: post/thread by Karen
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user/50706
>>
>> Ah... the several-day drama of setting up customised tax invoices, which >>I
>> had to do basically every time Gnucash updated over the past several years...
>>
>> The config.user option was an improvement over editing/inserting in the
>> gnucash reports folder, but still gave me issues along the way...
>>
>> But no more!
>>
>> Now I've just downloaded to /home/.gnucash the lovely work provided via
>> http://www.raid6.com.au/posts/gnucash_AU/
>>
>> Thanks Dmitry et al - much tidier than my beginner hacking ever was!
>> And - it seems to work fine!
>> added to config.user:
>> (load "/home/office/.gnucash/invoice-au.scm")
>>
>> after downloading the two scm files to .gnucash
>>
>> Opened up gnucash fine, could play with invoice layout. Am still playing and
>> intend to just save a custom version of it as per saving any custom report.
>>
>> One improvement I made in the invoice-au.eguile.scm though - I added
>> <strong>ABN:&nbsp</strong> to get "ABN: " showing before company number (aka
>> Australian Business Number)
>> [lines 174 - 176 in my file]
>>
>>     <?scm (if coyid (begin ?>
>>     <?scm )) ?>
>>
>> And it seems to still function fine
>>
>> PS not sure why Karen had her original troubles with these scm files as her
>> link seems the same place I got them and they work OK for me, but I am on
>> ubuntu12.04 not win so can't troubleshoot.
>> PPS Yes Derek's tip to keep a report open is handy.
>>
>> -Shane.

Hi Shane and Karen

I think the problem is the file locations on Windows and Ubuntu are
different.  I am using Gnucash 2.4.13 on Windows 8 and have also been unable
to get Dmitri's handiwork to work yet. Under Windows 8 the executables for
Gnucash (x86 version) are located at

"C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash" ( which appears to correspond to the
/home/.gnucash location under Ubuntu) with subfolders /bin, /doc, /etc,
/lib, /share and /uninstall

and the user data appears to have two possible locations

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\GnuCash which is an empty folder

and

C:\Users\Username\.gnucash

which has subfolders
   /books (this contains references to books I have setup but not the data
files for them, i.e. files with extensions ".gnucash.gcm"),
   /checks,
   /translog
and contains the files
   accelerator-map,
   expressions-2.0 (empty),
   saved-reports-2.4 and
   stylesheets-2.0.

the only configuration files I can find are located at

C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\etc\gnucash  which contains files
   config
   environment

config as distributed is blank  and contains the following

;;; -*-scheme-*-
;; Sample system-wide config file.  At the moment, it's empty.

environment sets up environment variable for the Windows distribution.

I have downloaded the files from http://www.raid6.com.au/posts/gnucash_AU/
to C:/Users/David/.gnucash" and added the following line to the config file
at C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\etc\gnucash

(load "C:/Users/Username/.gnucash/invoice-au.scm")

At this point the entry "AU Tax Invoice" appears in the Reports -> Business
menu. If I select this then use the "Options" Toolbar item to select an
invoice and apply it to the selected invoice, I get an AU formatted invoice
albeit fairly plain but it can be customised further as Shane suggested.

David Cousens