Datestamp on Reports

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 15:04:57 EDT 2013

On 9 Oct 2013, at 07:48, mcmurchy1917-gnucash at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> My view is that would indicate a syntax error. The probable reason is that the date routines aren't available to your script.
>
> Try this quick test
>
> Start up a command line interface for bash or ksh or whatever is your favourite scripting environment. At the command line prompt type
>
> 	guile

Thanks, mcmurchy1917.

It took me some time to find guile on my iMac, as it doesn't appear in the path, and isn't accessible via the Finder's Search feature.

I eventually found it here...

/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/guile

and your suggestions below were all accurate.

> then at the guile prompt type
>
> 	(display (date->string (current-date) "Printed at ~d/~m/~Y ~H:~M:~S"))
>
> If the date routines aren't available you should get this error -
>
> 	Backtrace:
> 	In standard input:
>    	1: 0* [display ...
>    	1: 1*  (date->string (current-date) "Printed at ~d/~m/~Y ~H:~M:~S")
>
> 	standard input:1:10: In expression (date->string (current-date) "Printed 		at ~d/~m/~Y ~H:~M:~S"):
> 	standard input:1:10: Unbound variable: date->string
> 	ABORT: (unbound-variable)
>

> Now include the date routines by typing at the guile prompt
>
> 	(use-modules (srfi srfi-19)) ; for extra date functions
>
> and try again
>
> 	(display (date->string (current-date) "Printed at ~d/~m/~Y ~H:~M:~S"))
>
> It should work this time. To get out of guile use ctrl-d
>

> To include the date routine in my script I have this line in my version of "balsheet-eg.scm" -
>
> (use-modules (srfi srfi-19)) ; for extra date functions

This worked, too.

> I hope this helps.

Certainly did!

Now that you've shown me the way, I expect I'll spend many more (marginally) productive hours tweaking GnuCash reports!

Michael