Using gnucash

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Oct 16 13:04:00 EDT 2013

>>Thanks for your message, think I can get it to work ok for me, it is a
>>shame that there is no way to manage assets(stock) with the program
>>particularly as assets form part of the general accounts that need to be
>>submitted for tax purposes. I have set it up so that there is a record
>>of stock purchased it is just unfortunate that when I sell an item this
>>cannot be recorded to give a picture of my current assets at the end of
>>the tax year.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Ed

Ed,
    As Maf. pointed out, gnucash is JUST the bookkeeping part (the money
accounting part) so you have to ENTER the transactions. It isn't an
"inventory system" that tracks the physical inventory (as opposed to its
cost) nor a "point of sales" system that from your cash register  sends
automatic  feeds to the accounting system and the inventory system. If
you want a "total business" system that automates everything not (yet)
available in the "free software" world (and "point of sales" probably
never will be as those tend to be tightly connected to the cash
registers being used).

Michael