Gnucash file 'corruption' on Mac OS X

Eric Weigle eric.weigle at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 09:38:38 EDT 2013

I'm seeing a problem on my wife's Mac where sometimes her saved gnucash
files cannot be read. After some debugging on my Linux desktop, I
discovered that it's compression-related: The compressed file cannot be
read on her machine, but can on mine; running `gunzip -c file.gnucash |
gzip -c > file2.gnucash` will make it readable on her machine again.

So something is obviously going wrong with the compression library on Mac,
or gnucash's integration with it. I've turned off compression with Settings
> General > Compress files, but would like to figure out an actual solution
rather than a workaround.

She's running Gnucash 2.4.12 (I know this is one version back, but the
release notes mention nothing related) on OS X 10.8.5; the machine is a
2.3GHz Intel Core i7 with 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory.

Thanks for any advice,
-Eric