Reports won't print to fil

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Oct 24 11:49:25 EDT 2013

Colin Law wrote:

>On 24 October 2013 00:27, Jenny McGlinchey <jpmcg3451 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello -
>>Anyone out there?  I've inherited this nightmarish software from the
>>previous treasurer of our organization.  I'm trying to save account
>>reports.  Rather than print each report, I'd like to save them as pdf's.
>> But, gnu-cash won't let me do that.  I'm using windows 7.  Anyone got
>>words of wisdom for me?
>>

>Yes, Windows 7 is nightmarish.  My word of wisdom is that you upgrade
>to Ubuntu and then use the pdf printer driver from the Ubuntu
>repository to print to pdf file.  If you must stick with that
>nightmarish Win 7 however then I believe that there are pdf print
>drivers available for windows also.

That may not be practical.

But it also might not be necessary to install (another) driver for
creating PDFs.

Question -- do you NOW (under Windows 7) have the capability of creating
a PDF from a document in some other format? If you don't, then your
problem is less  "how do I create a PDF directly from within gnucash?"
but "how do I create a PDF at all?". If you do now have the capability
of creating a PDF from a document that is now .doc or .rtf or whatever
than you have an obvious work around. Simply export your report from
gnucash. My version of gnucash will only do that to a .html but that's
no big deal as I can create a document as .doc (or .rtf or whatever) and
then copy in the data of that report from the .html file. In MY case
that isn't really much of an extra step as I am going to want to be able
to EDIT the report in any case. At THAT stage removing zero balance
accounts or detail levels not appropriate to the treasurer's report to
the board, adding annotations, if it would fit on one page each, maybe
combining the "Revenue Statement" (Income Statement) and Balance Sheet
into one document that my duplexing printer could print on a single
sheet of paper (opposite sides). Things like that or changing fonts or
font sizes, making some things bold, some not, etc. belong to editing
within a full capability editor.

If you don't have the capability of creating a PDF at all or printing a
file that was a PDF that's another kettle of fish entirely. We'll help,
but it's not a gnucash problem.

BTW -- the reason I suggest creating an actual PDF file (and later
printing that) rather than sending directly to the printer is so that
you can REprint later if needed. Hey, in the world in which I worked,
not unknown for a printer to mangle a print run so we would always want
a file that could be reprinted later as necessary (rather than having to
rerun the job that created the report).