Compiling GnuCash 2.5.6 on Ubuntu 13.10

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Oct 24 12:57:25 EDT 2013

On Thu, October 24, 2013 12:38 pm, Geert Janssens wrote:

>> They must be building xsltproc with libxslt statically linked. Weird.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>
> Yes, that's indeed weird.
>
> xsltproc needs libxslt. So if xsltproc can be used without installing
> libxslt on Ubuntu that
> could only be because xsltproc is linked statically against libxslt.
>
> Colin, out of curiosity, if you remove libxslt (libxslt-dev is irrelevant
> so it may or may not be
> installed), does xsltproc still work on your system ? If not, that would
> be a packaging bug on
> Ubuntu.

Indeed.  On my F18 system:

ldd /usr/bin/xsltproc
	linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff57618000)
	libxslt.so.1 => /lib64/libxslt.so.1 (0x0000003c6e800000)
	libexslt.so.0 => /lib64/libexslt.so.0 (0x0000003c63c00000)
[snip]

So it is clealry a dynamic linkage on F18.  Ubuntu would have to do
something special to compile it statically.  Still, I think the real fix
here is that configure should check for AC_PROG xsltproc, and also check
for the usability of libxslt (which would require libxslt-dev).  I think
it's okay if xsltproc doesn't pull in libxslt, because libxslt-dev
certainly would.

> Geert

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745