OS/X 9 Mavericks -- "Get Quotes" issue

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Oct 24 13:04:30 EDT 2013

On Oct 23, 2013, at 7:52 PM, Steve Drach <drach at itsit.org> wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2013, at 5:31 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 23, 2013, at 10:11 AM, Steve Drach <drach at itsit.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed Gnucash 2.4.13.  Starts up fine.
>>>
>>> As for Finance::Quote — not so easy.
>>>
>>> First the Xcode command line tools can’t be retrieved from Xcode.  Follow the links to more developer tools and that brings up a web page.  You must be a registered developer to access it!  Then you can download and install the developer tools.
>>>
>>> Then I copied FinanceQuote Update to /Applications (at one time I needed to do that, so I keep doing it ;-).  Neither double clicking nor just opening it from terminal window works.  In both cases I get a dialog box that says:
>>>
>>> “FinanceQuote Update” is damaged and can’t be opened.  You should move it to the Trash.
>>>
>>> Next, using the terminal I cd’ed to /Applications/FinanceQuote Update.app/Contents/MacOS and typed
>>>
>>> $ sudo ./applet
>>>
>>> That seemed to work, I answered the questions (sudo, not local::lib) and ran the live tests.  Then I restarted Gnucash and the "Get Quotes” button was available and works, although the value of my portfolio decreased :-(
>>>

>> Thanks for the heads up about a codesigning problem with FQU. I'll take a look.
>>
>> Were you just unable to find command-line tools in Xcode, or was there some problem with actually installing it? You know that you have to have Xcode5 (free from the App store) for Mavericks, right?
>
> Right.  The menus in Xcode do not have a “download command line tools” item as I think previous versions do.  Instead you have to traverse Xcode -> Open Developer Tool -> More Developer Tools… and that leads to the developer web site where the command line tools are located.  Also, I had to log into the site using my developer credentials.

Hmm. It used to be in Xcode>Preferences on the downloads tab.

OTOH, I just upgraded to 10.9 a couple of hours ago, upgraded Xcode to 5.0.1, and *without* downloading anything more after the Xcode "needs to download some more components" on first launch, find:
   ls -l /usr/bin/gcc*
   -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  14224 Oct 24 08:42 /usr/bin/gcc*
  ls -l /usr/bin/make
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  14224 Oct 24 08:42 /usr/bin/make*
Which should be enough to make CPAN happy. This isn't a clean install, of course. I'll have to try later on a VM for that.

Regards,
John Ralls