Compiling GnuCash 2.5.6 on Ubuntu 13.10

Jon Dallara jondallara at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 00:43:41 EDT 2013

On 10/24/2013 12:12 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 October 2013 21:45:55 Jon Dallara wrote:

> > > And have you installed libxslt-dev (or equivalent development
>
> > > package
>
> > > for libxslt) ?
>

> > > Geert
>

> > Not sure which one it was or if I needed both (installed both at the
>
> > same time), but it gets past there now. Thanks!
>

> > Jon.
>
> Jon,
>
> You will need both the development package and xsltproc.
>
> I was expecting xsltproc to be a part of libxslt (it is on Fedora and
> in the libxslt sources).
>
> If you can confirm that on Ubuntu xsltproc and libxslt are two
> separate packages and that xsltproc is not a dependency of libxslt, I
> will have to improve the configure test. It currently assumes that if
> libxslt is available, xsltproc will be automatically as well. But your
> reply seems to contradict this at least on Ubuntu.
>
> Geert

   Correct, I installed xsltproc first and then installed libxslt-dev
secondly.  Libxslt was already on my system, most likely from my
installing GnuCash 2.4.  Running apt-get build-dep didn't install either
of the packages.
   After I got it to compile, I found that make install places
everything under /usr/local/bin where as in Ubuntu the GnuCash
executable is under /usr/bin.  This is preventing it from finding its
shared libraries when I try to run it:

jon at jon-desktop:~/Downloads/gnucash-2.5.6$ whereis gnucash
gnucash: /usr/bin/gnucash /etc/gnucash /usr/bin/X11/gnucash
/usr/local/bin/gnucash /usr/local/etc/gnucash /usr/local/lib/gnucash
/usr/include/gnucash /usr/share/gnucash /usr/share/man/man1/gnucash.1.gz
jon at jon-desktop:~/Downloads/gnucash-2.5.6$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/usr/local/lib
jon at jon-desktop:~/Downloads/gnucash-2.5.6$ gnucash
gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libgnc-gnome.so.0: cannot
jon at jon-desktop:~/Downloads/gnucash-2.5.6$ /usr/bin/gnucash
ERROR: Undefined variable: gnc-is-debugging
jon at jon-desktop:~/Downloads/gnucash-2.5.6$

The last line will bring up the splash screen showing that it is running
2.4.13 before it crashes with the error message.  How do I get make
install to put the executable in the proper location? Sorry if I'm a bit
of a pain, but I haven't played around with compiling since I retired 14
years ago.

Thanks,

Jon.

--