Check and Repair working?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 18:14:11 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 1:47 AM, Jamestk <davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I inadvertently closed down GNU cash and re-started without giving the
> application enough time to write back data.
>
> As a precaution I ran the above command mistakenly thinking it would check
> the GNU cash file for errors. As above, it ran silently with no report or
> option to accept/undo changes. Is it possible multiple changes would have
> been made to accounts or entries?
>
> I have searched but found not much in the way of description.
>
> Thanks,

Greetings--

I want to note that you responded to an email message from 2007, so many
folks on the gnucash list will not know the exact context (since you didn't
quote it). In that thread, someone asked whether the Check and Repair
feature should have some sort of dialog or indicator, and Derek Atkins
responded saying Check and Repair offers no feedback; it does its job
silently.

Your basic question seems to be whether there might have been changes to
your accounts or entries when you quit GnuCash, and you presumably expected
some confirmation of that by running Check and Repair. However you are
presuming there was some error to correct, and I doubt that there was!

1) If you are using the ordinary GnuCash xml file format (strongly
recommended), as long as you didn't power off your computer WHILE GnuCash
was writing the file, then all the data that had been written to the file
should still be in it. If you quit GnuCash after entering transactions but
before the file has been written, it will remind you that your recent
changes have not been saved, and give you that option.

2) If you are using GnuCash with a database backend such as SQLite (NOT
recommended as the database storage is not yet completely solid), then the
changes got written to the database AS SOON as you entered them.

SO it seems very unlikely there were any errors to correct. If your file
did not contain any of the recent transactions, then it's likely you
restarted your computer before the file got saved, so those few
transactions were simply lost, and there's no chance to recover them
because they weren't written anywhere.

If I am misunderstanding your situation, I apologize. Please remember to
copy the email list if you wish to reply.