Reconciliation: Incorrect Starting Balance

David dgpickett at aol.com
Sat Oct 26 18:12:21 EDT 2013

No, born in US, my GPA in EE Computer Design at Drexel was 3.952.  I have worked with computers since Fortran on a GE 415 at Union College in 1967, hardware and software.

I was redoing almost a whole year, plus future trans for a year, and I deleted some and replaced them with new trans, and moved some around that were on the wrong year.  I could not reconcile any part of the account, not even for the first transaction, chronologically -- it has $6.37 from somewhere before the first transaction in some invisible or hidden in the pile at a future visible date, pre-dated cell.  If I put in a dummy transaction ahead of the first chronologically to do an adjustment, it was just as impossible to reconcile.  I could reconcile to a magic number that was 6.37 too high, not the amount of the first transaction (the running balance of the first transaction).

I put in a 6.37 transaction, reconciled it with a magic balance, moved it into the future, and then I could balance the first transaction.  By adjusting the amount of this formerly past now future transaction, I could now balance any date, including the current amount at the running balance.  That is a work around for now.

 Maybe, in a year, the right amount to balance will be zero, and I can delete the fake.