Installing 2.5.6 on Ubuntu 13.10

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sun Oct 27 03:23:25 EDT 2013

John,

To have it install in /usr you have to run configure --prefix=/usr before you run make and make
install.

Let me point out though that this is *not* a good idea. Installs in /usr are normally reserved for
your package management system. By installing there, you are asking for trouble with apt-get
and friends later on.

/usr/local (the default) is also not recommended, because it's treated special by your system.
Libraries found in there take precedence over libraries found in /usr. This explains the error
you see below.

If you build your own software, you are probably better off installing it in /opt. For example run
configure --prefix=/opt/gnucash.

If you like you can add /opt/gnucash/bin to your PATH afterwards so you can type gnucash
instead of /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash to run your self-built version.

HTH,

Geert