New (Forced) download of GnuCash

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 27 07:34:42 EDT 2013

On 27 October 2013 01:20, quintain <xz9876 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> Due to broken PC I need to install new copy of GnuCash.
> I can access my old files from faulty PC.
>
> What is the best procedure for installing and setting up Gnucash on new hard
> drive.
>
> I.E. Do I just download GnuCash and import my transactions/data into it or
> do I fully set up GnuCash as though for the first time ?? (if I can remember
> how I set it up).
> Will the new installation be able to pick up my altered accounts names and
> Description etc.

If you do not have any saved reports or such like then all you need to
transfer is the actual accounts file (assuming you are using the
standard xml format file, not sql).  Copy it to an appropriate folder
on the new pc, start gnucash, cancel the new accounts setup and then
File > Open and browse to the saved file.  You will have to setup your
preferences again how you like them.  Are you able to find the
accounts file ok?  It will be in the same folder as all the log and
backup files with timestamps embedded in the filenames.

Colin