Installing 2.5.6 on Ubuntu 13.10

Jon Dallara jondallara at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 16:47:13 EDT 2013

On 10/27/2013 08:17 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On Sunday 27 October 2013 15:06:14 Colin Law wrote:
>
> > On 27 October 2013 14:35, Jon Dallara <jondallara at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Thanks. I think that you might want to look at the Ubuntu apt-get
>
> > > package then because apt-get was the original installation method.
>
> > > I've been using the stable version installed through Software
>
> > > Center (apt-get) up until now, so all the /usr entries are from the
>
> > > original install of 2.4.
>
> > Jon, I think maybe you misunderstand, or I do. The point is that it
>
> > is not a good idea to install your own version into the same location
>
> > that apt-get uses, otherwise confusion can ensue. It is best to
>
> > install it to a different location, it does not matter where really.
>
> > If you want to do that however it is entirely up to you, just set
>
> > --prefix to wherever you want. I usually put it in a folder
>
> > indicating the version number so that I can keep track of which
>
> > version is which in case I have multiple versions at once, for example
>
> > the current release and the development version.
>

> > Colin
>
> And at the same time rembember to remove all traces of your own
> gnucash build from /usr/local (if you haven't removed your build
> directory, you can do this with make uninstall).
>
> If not, this installation in /usr/local will continue to break the
> apt-get installed version in /usr.
>
> Geert

Thanks.  Misunderstanding on my part.  Back in my day (1999) on HP-UX we
didn't have the different directory interactions if I recall correctly
(/usr/local/lib overriding /usr/lib).  Anyhow, thanks for the help.  I
may just have to get back into programming if I ever get some free time.

Jon.

--
Jon Dallara
Assistant Director