A way of managing a joint account

Cylindric mark at hanfordonline.co.uk
Mon Sep 2 20:11:36 EDT 2013

Okay, I think I have this working well enough for my humble needs now. I
created a new file so there was less history cluttering things up and making
reconciliation more complicated while experimenting.

I now have

+ Liabilities (placeholder)
|   +---Credit Card (placeholder)
|      +---Amazon (placeholder)
|         +---Amazon J
|         +---Amazon LT
|         +---Amazon MH

I can now look at the "Amazon" one and see a balance that should match the
bank statement, and I can reconcile using the "include sub-accounts" option.

My own expenses categorise as normal in the MH account. I think for my
purposes putting each txn in the "J" account to a particular Expense should
be fine. If it's  something big, I can always put a Split and put 50% to my
Expense, and 50% to "Expense:Other:LT" or whatever. Anything in the "LT"
account I don't care about, so that'll just be "Expense:Other:LT".

I now have a reporting question, but I'll send that in as a separate post.

Thanks for the help everyone :)